My Boston Marathon Race Recap

May 12, 2016

After the Athlete's banquet and the last minute trip to Target, I headed back to the hotel. I put on my temporary tattoos and I had my race outfit ready to go. I was so ready to run but I was also nervous. I tried to sleep but just like the night before any race I couldn't fall asleep. I slept a total of four hours that night. 

Lululemon Sculpt Tank// Adidas spanx// SpiBelt// Mizuno Wave Rider 19s

The next morning my dad and I walked to the metro station right across the street from the Citgo sign. When I took the picture I realized oh my gosh, in just a few hours I will be at this point and will only have one mile left of the marathon. The metro took us to the bus loading station where we were taken to Athlete's Village/start line. 

I looked like I was headed to jail with my matching outfit haha!

The bus ride took about 45 minutes to get to Hopkinton where I tried not thinking about how far it seemed and the fact I would be running that route alllllll the way back. 

My wave had to be at Athlete's Village by 8am and our start time was 10am. In Athlete's Village I ate a bagel and banana, kept hydrated and waited the two-ish hours until my wave was called to the start. I talked to others around me seeing how many people have run before and what everyone's goal was. My only goal was to finish and have fun. I didn't care if it took me over four hours to finish. I wanted to soak in all the runners and all the people cheering the whole 26.2 miles. 


Once it was time to go, my wave was called and we all walked the half mile distance to the start when I realized it was HOT. I borrowed some sunscreen and stripped off the jail outfit (see above photo). 

The first portion of the race was all downhill. I focused on conserving energy and running easy. My watch buzzed at mile one and showed my pace was sub 8 minute. I felt good so I slowed down and settled into a comfortable pace that I could keep the entire run. I didn't look at my watch the rest of the way.

By mile eight I felt blisters on my toes. I was hot, hungry, and already getting tired. This wasn't good as I had tons of miles left. I kept telling myself "I will enjoy every second of this because once I am done- I am done." I knew it would be over before I knew it. I was eating gels along the way every three miles but needed more food.

The crowds were amazing. There were people lining the streets the entire 26.2 miles which I have never experienced before. The fans made you feel like you were famous. When I would get tired, I ran over to the side and high-fived as many people as I could. Besides high-fives, the crowds gave out tons of beverages and snacks. I grabbed water, gatorade, popsicles, orange slices, and wet rags. Around mile 15-18 the photographers snapped this: 


This was one of the tougher marathons I have run- it was hot and hilly towards the end. However, it wasn't near as hard as my qualifier race. I kept a comfortable pace and walked through each water station. I took music but the volume was very low. I mainly listened to the cheers of the crowd but I liked having a little backup jam.

My parents split up so that I would look forward to seeing them at different miles. I missed my mom but did find my dad at one point as he was standing on a light post and waving his arms. I was enjoying the moment so much I didn't even realize where Heartbreak Hill was. I definitely felt rolling hills but the only way I knew it was Heartbreak Hill was because someone had a sign that said I made it to the top. Ha! 

At mile 23 I took my headphones off, gave more high-fives, and cruised the rest of the way. I saw the Boston Strong bridge. Before I knew it, I was turning right on Hereford and left on Boylston. I couldn't believe I made it.

I finished in 3:42:33.


Afterwards I got my medal and foil sheet thing. I waited for my parents to make it to the designated family waiting area. The finish area was a bit crazy (obviously) but there was food given out while I waited. Within a few minutes my parents found me and I was so excited to see them. We walked around a bit, got some frozen yogurt, then found the metro back to the hotel. I showered and got ready for a delicious burger dinner :)


Boston was the most amazing experience. I loved every second of that race (even the three blisters). The stress, the tears, the Austin Marathon that I didn't show up to, the lack of sleep, the days of not wanting to train- none of that mattered. I worked through the hardest semester and finished what I have always wanted to do.


I am a Boston Marathon finisher!!

4 comments:

  1. So awesome, Sara! Such an amazing experience. Happiest congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and I love it! So inspiring. This makes me want to run this someday. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Rachel!! It is definitely an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs