On Recovery

September 2, 2014

Today's post is all about recovery. I write different ideas on how to recover, etc. but I never keep up with them. This past week I was a lot better at keeping up with recovery. 

I had 10 miles this past weekend that went better than the last weekends run (16 miles). With an 18 miler coming up, I want to be strong enough to run it at a decent pace rather than struggle through the miles. I grabbed ice at the store for an ice bath. My sister and I put on spanx and sports bras and soaked for fifteen minutes. The time that is recommended is ten to fifteen minutes or however long you can stand it. 


While it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, it definitely helped as my legs didn't feel so tight. Compression socks, foam rolling, and stretching also helped. Yesterday I skipped cycling and weights and opted for an hour of P90x stretching. 

One thing that I changed this week on my long run was my fuel belt. I have noticed a huge difference in how I run when I take it vs. when I don't. However, I become easily annoyed when it bounces on my hips. This weekend I used safety pins to tighten it more around my stomach/waist. I didn't have trouble with it so I may just have to run with it pinned. 

Vega sells packets of Recovery Accelerator that I mixed into a smoothie. This one isn't recovery but I made it last week as a breakfast smoothie:


Banana and Oat Breakfast smoothie:
1 tablespoon rolled oats
1 banana 
1 cup milk or almond milk
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon honey

The Vega recovery accelerator comes in tropical flavor which I mixed with water, bananas, and strawberries. I don't know how much it accelerates recovery but it did taste good!

4 comments:

  1. I like this post! Looks like we're on the same page with our recovery efforts. I've started taking ice baths this season and using the entire Vega line--the pre-workout energizer (thanks to your review!) and the recovery accelerator followed by the recovery protein. You're totally going to rock your 18-miler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that makes me feel better that not everyone is perfect with recovery ;) Oh awesome! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. That smoothie looks great! And ooooh I don't know if I could do an ice bath. It would be so cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! I probably would skip the honey next time though, the flavor was a bit strong for me. It's definitely cold haha but feels soo good.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs