18 miles

September 8, 2014

Yesterday morning I had an 18 mile run to do. I have not done a single 18 mile run.. the last marathon training cycle I skipped over it (overtraining) and went straight to 20 miles after taking some time to rest and ease back into training.

Shout out to my dad for his photography skills haha

I have had a couple bad long runs due to the heat/humidity and not hydrating properly. The last couple of miles would be slow as I was dehydrated. I was super nervous for this run because I didn't want a bad training run. (Add to the fact, I had a dream that I didn't wake up in time for my long run and wasn't able to run well because of the heat).

I tried a couple of new things today in hopes of a better training run that worked out great!

1. I listened to coach and ran by HR zone (effort) rather than pace. My pace ended up better than my last few training runs. I was trying to maintain a certain pace but would tire quickly.
2. I ran in my old shoes as I am still breaking in my new shoes. My new Mizunos caused a bit of pain in my calves during my last long run so I am running in my old ones since they aren't used all the way up yet.
3. I tightened my fuel belt to avoid bounce (see picture below). This caused no annoyance and I could just run rather than be frustrated the whole time with trying to adjust it.
4. I woke up around 6:15am and started running at 6:30 so I would have a little less running time in the heat.
5. I fueled more often since I knew I would be thirsty and hungry running for 2 and a half hours. I took one Gu chomp every three miles, drank a sip of Gatorade every mile, and ate a bite of a Clif bar at mile 12 and 16.

I used safety pins to wrap the fuel belt more around the smaller part of my waist ^^

These small changes helped me have a better, stronger run and got me more mentally focused. Now to get prepared for the big 2 - 0...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sara,
    If you go to metafilter .com and search for "how to use GU" you'll find some interesting and helpful tips....at least I though so.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs