Tips for your first triathlon

May 7, 2014

If anyone is thinking about competing in their first triathlon all I can say is - DO IT. I don't know everything about triathloning (I'm making that a word) but I do know some things that I have learned from training for the past few months and completing my first triathlon. Here are a few tips from the newbie.


1. It's not about the outfit

It's seriously not about the outfit.

2. It is expensive if you make it expensive

There are many parts to a triathlon. You have a swimsuit (or tri suit/wetsuit), goggles, swim cap, bike, tires, aero bars, clip ins, flat kit, helmet, cycling shoes, race belt, running shoes, transition towel. The list could go on and on. But you don't have to make it expensive. Don't get me wrong, I've already been searching for upgrades but all I have now is a hand-me-down bike and helmet, no clip ins on my bike, a cheap swimsuit, and some old shorts. The only thing that matters is how fast you are.

3. Practice the bricks

Going from a bike to run is the weirdest thing. Practice it during training so you can feel how it will be on race day. In the words of my sister, "It doesn't get easier, you just get stronger."

4. You'll have so much fun

You'll be able to join another "family"
You can look up "Things Triathletes Say" on google and feel like you can relate.
You can buy triathlete magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs