Race Recap: Windcrest Freshman Tri

April 27, 2014

You guys, I finished my very first triathlon!


First, on Friday night my sister and I headed to a friends house to get our hair braided because she is the best at french braids. My younger sister, Kathleen, went with me because she had a 5k race for her college meet. I needed my hair out of the way and easy to handle as I would be wearing a swim cap, a helmet, and a headband at different times. It worked perfect.


My dad and I got up early and headed down to the race location. Once we arrived, literally every person had on some type of matching tri kit. I looked down at my $50 Academy swimsuit and three year old Lululemon spanx and realized how much of a newbie I was. I was nervous with how legit everyone seemed but my dad assured me that it wasn't about what you wear but about how fast you are. I tried to remain calm but I was so nervous. After setting up my transition area, hearing the race instructions, and prayer it was time to start.

The Swim: 200m || Time: 4:12 

Everyone lined up according to bib number. I was number 19 but as everyone talked about their 3 minute 200m pace I moved back a few people. I didn't really train for speed while swimming because I only swam once a week and practiced endurance more. 


The swim was down and back four times in a pool. I was thinking the worst and that I would be kicked in the nose and that people would be passing me but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I made my way across the lanes without any trouble. Until I got kicked in the chest. Luckily it was in the last stretch so it didn't effect my swimming. The group of people let me pass them and I finished and made my way out of the pool and into transition.


The Bike: 8 miles || Time: 28:55 || 16.6 mph


After a quick transition of grabbing my bib number, shoes and socks, shorts, and helmet, I made my way out onto the bike. I got on my bike and started on my way. After a short time, two guys whizzed by me and I realized how slow I was going. This was no time for a Saturday morning stroll. I quickly started pedaling faster and caught up with a group. I kept my legs moving the whole way as it was pretty hilly. It was two laps of four miles each. Once I knew the course after the first loop I was more confident to speed up the second time around.


8 miles later then it was time for the next transition.

The Run: 2 miles || Time: 14:42 || 7 min pace

Right when I got off the bike my legs felt like noodles. My coach had warned me that it took about a mile to warm up to run. The run course was one loop around a golf course so I focused on getting to the next person in front of me. I tried to find a rhythm but I ended up tripping all over the street and I felt like I was waddling. I only went 8 miles, what happened to my legs?! I didn't have a watch so I had no idea my pace until I finished.


And just like that I was finished with my very first sprint triathlon. It took me 50:32 to finish the course.


After I was finished my dad and I cheered on other finishers and waited for the awards. I was so excited (and really shocked) when I won both the Beginner Champion and Age Group awards!


Swim Bike Run. DONE.

14 comments:

  1. Eeeek so cool! I knew you were gonna kill it :) now you've made me want to do a triathlon! There's one in June that I'm thinking about... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigha!! You should totally "tri" it! It was so much fun!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats, Sara! I knew you would rock it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats girl! You've been bit by the triathlon bug!! This is my first full triathlon season and i am loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I have!! I've already looked up when my next one will be ;) That is so awesome!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on becoming a triathlete and doing so well for the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hailey! It was such a fun experience!

      Delete
  5. Way to go! That's awesome that you did so well on your very first one and you experienced the "fun" feeling of your legs all crazy after biking. :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia! I was very surprised!! That was definitely "fun" :)

      Delete
  6. Well done, Sara! So fun, right?! Be careful… you're gonna be hooked on triathlon :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs