On Finding Balance

April 8, 2014

I have probably mentioned this 100 times, but last semester was crazy. Between training for a full marathon, 5am long runs, 6 science classes, nannying, orchestra rehearsal and playing twice a week, applying to nursing school, spending time with my family, and other things, I had little time for anything else. Or for anything "fun". The only reason that is in quotations is because just training was fun for me. I was happy. I didn't care about how hard or busy everything was, I just wanted to complete my first marathon.


At the start of this semester I wanted to change my focus to building friendships and relationships. I am going to be honest and say that last semester I wasn't focused on that at all. Training for a marathon takes a lot of time and it is really tiring. I rarely went out unless I was with my family. Now that I am not training for a marathon and I have an easier semester of school, I have more free time.

So, I started going to a Bible study at my church on Sunday evenings. They also have another Bible study on Thursday nights and occasional get togethers throughout the week. I have met so many friends there. I am having so much fun (being social)!

Training (and life) is all about finding balance. Training isn't the most important thing but it is pretty high up on my list. I am training for a 10k in two weeks, my first triathlon in three weeks, a half marathon next month, and I begin marathon training in the summer.


I have learned that I need to go to bed at 9:30pm most nights of the week. Otherwise, I don't feel recovered for the next day's training. Some days I am tired and just want to stay home all day but some nights I go out late and enjoy being with my friends. I know how I feel each day and I make sure I get a lot of rest. But I also make sure I find the balance of having fun because all of this is so much fun.

11 comments:

  1. Love this! Training really does take a LOT of time. I try to be in bed by 10 every night! I like to be social sometimes, but other times I really just like being at home on Saturday night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO true, and being more outgoing, involved, and social is one of my long-term goals as well. I joined a volunteer team for Health Education, so that's one giant step in the right direction. Go us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - I just nominated you for a Liebster Award on my blog!

      Delete
    2. That sounds so awesome! Go us!!

      Yay, thanks! I can't wait to fill it out!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post and a much needed reminder to "get out" more. I don't know if you've already been nominated, but I nominated you for the Liebster Award and if you're interested you can check it out here:http://stridingstrong.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Oh thank you!! That is two awards in one week! I will check it out :)

      Delete
  4. The balance is so hard! I always have to decide between being social and running, but I think it's a fair trade to spend one weekend night chilling and one having fun. I always tell my friends (and bf) that if I don't run I'd be no fun to hang out with. It's my #1 stress release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, sometimes it is really hard. That is a good idea! Normally I choose a few nights a week to go out and the other nights I have to tell everyone "no, I am going to bed" haha. Running definitely is! Plus if I don't run I am cranky.

      Delete
  5. Oh, to be 20 again! Enjoy it. Balance is ever changing, and you sound wise beyond your years. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs