Race Recap: Alamo 13.1

March 24, 2014

Yesterday I ran the Alamo 13.1 race. While I finished with a brand new PR and an age group award, the race was anything but perfect... At my last half marathon in January I was feeling strong and kept thinking the whole race "when did running 13.1 miles become so easy??" Because that race felt easy! This race was completely the opposite.

Saturday night I put together my usual pre race outfit photo.

Lululemon Power Y Tank
Lululemon Speed Shorts
Mizuno Wave Rider 17s
Ipod, Clif shot blocks, Headband and Garmin

The race started at 7:45am so my parents and I got to the start at 7:15am. It was really windy and cold. I stretched for a few minutes but I was too nervous to do anything else. Prayer, national anthem, then it was go time. I started off a bit fast with all the race excitement but after a couple miles I settled into a good pace and remembered the strategy my coach sent me.

my favorite supporters (my parents) and I

It didn't end up raining which was great. 
However, it was SUPER windy along the course so my paces ended up all over the place. At mile three I realized I was starting out a bit too fast and needed to calm down. By mile 5 I was ready to quit. My legs felt heavy and my stomach hurt. I took fuel randomly throughout the race but I don't know the exact miles.


Mile 1: 7.15 pace

Mile 2: 7.36 pace

Mile 3: 6.56 pace - Oops, that was too fast.


Mile 4: 7.07 pace

Mile 5: 7.27 pace- I think I need to throw up. Yep, I definitely need to.

Mile 6: 7.46 pace- Well, this hurts.


Mile 7: 7.49 pace- Where is the end??

Mile 8: 7.31 pace
telling my parents "I don't feel so good"

Mile 9: 6.54 pace

Mile 10: 7.12 pace

Mile 11: 7.29 pace- Only two more miles? Okay I think I got this.

Mile 12 to finish: 7.43 pace- I AM DONE. OH HEY, THAT'S A PR TOO.

My paces were all over the place. I had some really strong miles (below 7 minute pace!!) and some tough miles that were inching towards an 8 minute mile. There will always be good races and bad races. This was my first "bad" race but I ended up doing better than any of my other races. I talked to my coach about the race and she said "imagine what would have happened if you had a "good" day."

Finish time: 1:36:48. 
Age group: 2nd place out of 46
Overall: 38th out of 1558




While it may not have been my best race, it was definitely a fun race with an awesome course and plenty of support along the way. I am SO excited about another PR and an age group award. Plus, I didn't get lost this time. 

18 comments:

  1. Way to rock it! Still an amazing race for a bad day ;-) Can't wait to see what you do when you feel GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashleigh!! I am hoping I can calm my race day nerves so I can have a GOOD race haha.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!! What an awesome run, despite having to overcome not feeling your best! My PR is 1:39, so I love getting motivation from those that are a little bit faster!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! And thanks for commenting :) That is awesome! Keep up the training!

      Delete
  3. Congrats!! You did awesome despite the circumstances which only shows how well you can do in not-the-best-conditions :) Looking forward to see you continue to progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. 38th out of over 1000 people!? That is amazing! I've never run below an 8:20 mile in my life, so under 7:00 sounds insane to me. Hope I can catch up to you soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you girl! Oh I know you can! You are doing so awesome!!

      Delete
  5. Good for you to push through even thought you weren't feeling great. Congrats on a PR and an age group award, that's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! You did awesome! I didn't even know you had a race this weekend! You are SO speedy. I can't believe you didn't feel great! Amazing job, girly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been missing your posts! Come back to blog world soon, okay? :)
      Thank you so much girl!!

      Delete
  7. Great job! As much as it completely sucks in the moment, these tough races help to shape you into an even better and mentally strong runner and make the ones that actually feel good that much better which = even more PRs! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hailey!! That is very true!! :)

      Delete
  8. Way to go on the PR and age group award! I can't wait to see what your next GOOD race day is like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible race, Sara! You crushed it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs