Guest Post: Meet Kathleen

March 20, 2014

I am excited to introduce you guys to my next sister! My oldest sister Anna has already guest posted so I think you all need to meet my next coolest sister, Kathleen. Kathleen is a freshman in college and runs for her college track and cross country teams. She is one speedy runner! She had her first collegiate meet this past weekend, which I was pretty bummed about missing. I asked her to write about her decision of running in college.
________________________________________________________________________________


Hello Bloggers! For clarification, Sara didn't realize what she was saying when she introduced me. Clearly I am the coolest (Sorry Anna and Elizabeth).  I began running my freshman year of high school. I ran both track and cross country. In track I ran long distance- the 3200 and 1600 meter races. At first, I was only interested in running because my sisters were on the team but throughout the season I began to realize my passion for running and how much I enjoyed it.

My freshman year of high school I usually ran in the back of the pack, not knowing what I was capable of. One day I felt that I was not pushing myself hard enough and decided to work harder in practices and I began to win medals in my races. Once I realized that I could actually run faster than a 15 minute pace (well maybe not that slow) my training started to become important and I beat many personal goals.

Ever since freshmen year people would ask me, "Are you going to run in college?" I always said yes! During high school I went to state every year in both events. Running became my life and I didn't want it to end.

When my senior year was coming to an end, I never could make up my mind. I went back and forth on deciding if I was going to run because I knew the time and dedication that was going to need to be put in. I went to orientation at a school in town after deciding to not run in college and cried when I got home because I knew I made the wrong choice. Every night I thought about how lost I would be without training for races or running with a team. Luckily I was able to join last minute and decided to run in college a few weeks before the season started. I can honestly say that it is the best decision I have ever made! Although I just joined the team last fall, I absolutely love running in college. I run the 5k, 10k, 3k, and 1500 races. 

In my first outdoor meet last weekend, I competed in the 3k and 1500. It was great to be back on the track and competing. 


I am looking forward to my race this weekend and hope to continue to push myself in order to PR in my races! I hope to run 36 minutes (or below) in the 10k which is 6.2 miles. The training for running in college is long and tough but it is definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs