Follow Your Dreams

March 28, 2014

In high school I had a poster of a Disney star and the quote read something along the lines of, "Follow your dreams. I followed mine." Ever since I read that quote it always stuck in my head- follow your dreams. What were my dreams? I didn't know. After high school it took me a few years to find "myself" and what my dreams were. After some time I started running and signing up for races around my area. That was when I realized that my dreams include having bruised toenails that take four months to heal. But not just that, running is my "me time" and when I have the most fun.

When I first began running it was for fun. I occasionally ran on my own before I joined the track and cross country teams. During my freshman year of high school I ran my first half marathon with my dad with a time of 1:55. I was so happy with that time since it was below two hours. Our high school cross country team would end the season in October and then run the November half marathon for fun. The boys on the teams all ran 1:30 something half marathons and I always thought that was so cool and so fast.

first half marathon with my dad

During my sophomore year of high school my dad and I planned on running the marathon together. That was the year I stopped training and decided to stick with the half marathon. My sisters decided they would all run the half too while my dad ran the marathon. I ran a time of 1:52 and my younger sister ran a time of 1:45. Ever since then my competitive side came out and I was always wanting to be her time of 1:45.


I didn't run another half marathon for three more years until last year at the Alamo 13.1 with a time of 1:45. I did it! I finally got my sister's time. Of course, with running, I can never settle for any time. I have to keep trying to beat my previous record. I ended up running a few more half marathons last year and got down to a 1:42 half.

In January when I ran the Cocoa Women's Half I wasn't sure how the race would go. I had lost motivation in the middle of training and I wanted to do well but didn't expect anything great. My goal was a 1:41 where I would at least beat my previous PR of a 1:42. I ended up running way faster than I thought I was capable of, a time of 1:38.


I ran another half marathon this past weekend with a time of 1:36. I am running times that the boys ran in high school. If you told me then that in 5 or 6 years I would be running these paces I would call you crazy. I would have said something along the lines of, "There is no way I can run that fast. 1:50 is what I can do." My first half marathon was a 1:55 and now my record is 1:36. I never would have thought I would be in the "thirties" time wise but I am so excited to see how much my training and hard work is paying off and I can't wait to keep pushing myself to be faster.

My goal is to run a 1:30 half marathon. That is running between a 6:50 and 7:00 pace for 13.1 miles. 

I never look at what is possible. If I did, I would end up doubting myself. I don't care if it is or isn't possible for me to run a 1:30 half. I am focusing on how I am going to get there by pushing myself to be faster and working harder.

I should probably focus more during races too...


"If your dreams don't scare you they are not big enough."

5 comments:

  1. Love this! I think it's so cool how your whole family runs. I'm the only one in my family! Even more than times, 2 years ago I would've thought it crazy to even run 13.1 miles! Now I've done it twice! Love the pic of you at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely love it :) So awesome! Haha thank you!!

      Delete
  2. This is such a sweet post! I started running much later than you but I have big dreams and I hope in a few years I'll have accomplished them, just like you. I also hope I end up with such a great race photo! Please tell me you framed that one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You definitely will! I'm so glad we connected through our blogs. I love keeping up with your training and posts!! I am so going to!

      Delete
  3. I love that family pic and congrats on your journey so far!
    I have some big dreams that definitely scare me but the fun part is going after them :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs