Strength Training Workout

February 17, 2014

It is very important for runners to strength train. There are numerous reasons of why all the running websites tell runners to strength train: builds muscle, makes you stronger and faster, prevents injury, etc. I usually just look up strength training workouts off of Google or do the workouts my brother in law and older sister send me. This is one of the workouts they sent me last week with explanations.



Warm up: 

Warm up for 5 to 10 minutes of dynamic stretches, jump rope, squats and lunges without weights to warm up your legs, etc.

Strength: 5 x 5 deadlift

This can be done with a weight or a bar. 5 sets of 5 reps. Tips I found online for proper technique:
"Don’t arch your back or roll it in the other direction. Keep your abs tight the entire time and keep your back straight. Keep the bar as close to you as possible. Keep your head up and chest out as you lift. This will help you keep your back aligned properly. As you bring the weight up, you want your legs to straighten out simultaneously as your hips come in completely. Form a straight line at the same time with your hips, knees and feet." 
Workout of the day: Burpees and squats

Every minute on the minute do 4 burpees then as many squats as you can get in during that minute. When I did this last week I got in about 20-25 squats each minute so I did the set five times to reach 100 squats in all.

Also include a cool down of static stretching. Another idea of cross training workouts I posted here. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I need to get on the strength training. I just never feel like doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me neither.. but the more I do it the more I am starting to like it. I feel stronger!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs