How To: Make Training Fun

February 25, 2014

Training is so much fun! Other people may not agree. One of my friends said that "training takes too much time" so she doesn't run any more. It does take a lot of time and you have to put effort into training each day. There will be days where you have a runners high and love it but there are some days that training is not so fun. In the end it will all be worth it.

Finishing 14, 16, and 20 miles. So much excitement! 

During my last marathon training cycle I trained hard each day. Then, after months of this, training became a chore, something I had to do to cross off my to-do list for that day. I also had a really hard semester so that played into how I trained. I am back into training again and loving every minute of it. But I know some days the excitement dwindles. Such as 10pm the other night when I forgot I had flexibility to work on so I was half asleep trying to foam roll. I have some tips (more for me) but that may help other people too.

Remember why you are training.

Maybe it is so you can cross a race off your bucket list or so that you can PR in a race. Whatever the reason is, there has to be a reason you wanted to run, train each day, and look forward to the finish line.

I trained for five months to prove to myself that I am capable of running a distance that I thought was impossible.

Treat yourself.

Get a manicure, get a facial, buy $100 worth of new running clothing, get a smoothie, stay up a little later than normal, just go treat yourself for whatever reason you may have (finishing all workouts for the week, finishing a hard run, etc.)


Workout with a friend.

With my schedule and training plan I am not able to workout with others. My favorite workout is swimming because it is the one day of the week I "workouts with others". Although I am not really swimming with other people, there are usually a few other people in the pool swimming laps.

Focus on the finish line but also go day to day.


In my calendar each week I would write encouragement to myself. I took training as it came. I would focus on crossing the finish line and thinking about how fun it will be but I also trained as each day came and made sure to not to become overwhelmed with how many hours worth of training or how many miles I had to get in that week.

Have fun.

All of these things are ways to make it fun but if you aren't having fun then it won't be fun.

10 comments:

  1. I would love to run a half marathon sometime in the next year or so (I'm currently just under two miles shy of running my first 10K) but I wouldn't even know where to begin. How did you figure out a training schedule that worked for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is so exciting! When is your 10k??

      If you type into Google "half marathon training plans" there are a bunch of results that show up. My favorite are from jennyhadfield.com because it works for me. I love to run but I don't want to run every single day. Her plans have three to four running days. Follow this link for different plans to see what works for you--
      https://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/half-marathon/
      If you like to run more than that Hal Higdon has plans that are running focused.

      When I first began running half marathons I would find a random training plan and follow it. I found Jenny's plans from Google and tried it out. I like her plans more because it isn't running every day, it has recovery weeks after the race, and her plans have been working for me racing time wise.

      I hope that helps!!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I love training more than racing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! I am training for a half marathon in June. The weather has been so awful here in Minnesota so far this year, and it is making me lose motivation real quick. I forget that training can be fun, so I think these tips will help me get motivated again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Sara!! Good luck with training!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I absolutely love running, but sometimes need more motivation to keep it up. I love the "treat yourself" tip especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brie! Me too :) I probably treat myself a little too much though.. haha

      Delete
  5. I took your advice and bought myself two new Lulu tank tops for marathon training :) Can't wait for them to arrive!

    Weird question....what model are your black North Face shorts? They might have to be my next treat haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! You go girl!! When does marathon training begin?

      They are the Better Than Naked Split Shorts. That will be a good treat :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs