Recipe Post: Spaghetti Squash Boats

December 4, 2013

I can cross off one of my December goals! I found this recipe off of Asheejojo's blog and it is delicious! My oldest sister makes spaghetti squash for her husband and her and they enjoy it. The idea of a vegetable having noodles inside of it was weird to me. However, I found one of these squash at the store and decided to try something new. My younger sister helped me make this. Also, most of the directions come from Ashleigh's blog.



// Ingredients We Used // 

1 spaghetti squash
1 pound of sausage
1 to 1 and a half cups of broccoli
1/3 cup of sliced tomatoes
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper for taste

You can add other ingredients such as green peppers and mushrooms.

// Directions// 

1. Using a knife, cut holes throughout the squash. 

2. Place the squash in the oven for 45 minutes on 400 degrees.

3. Let squash cool while you mix other ingredients. Once cooled, cut the squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and other middle parts of squash. Separate the strands along the sides of the squash using a fork. Set squash aside.

4. In a skillet, cook the sausage and broccoli over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. 

5. Add the basil, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. 

6. Add tomatoes; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Take out squash "noodles" and stir them into the skillet.

7. Fill shells, place in shallow baking dish, place in oven on 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and enjoy! There should be enough of the spaghetti squash left over in the skillet that you can reuse one of the shells.  

Next time I want to try this recipe with just the noodles and pasta sauce. It was different than what I would normally choose but everyone seemed to like it. Thank you Ashleigh for the recipe!

4 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I told one of my running buddies about this spaghetti squash recipe and he was so confused. He thought I was carving out a squash to use as a vessel to hold spaghetti noodles, haha. Next time, if you want an easy route for just spaghetti squash with marinara sauce, you can poke holes all over the squash with a fork and microwave it for around 8-10 minutes (depending on the size of the squash). Then you just slice it in half, pick out the seeds, and string it into noodles like above! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's funny! It is an odd meal but it was really good!
      I will have to try that, thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Yum… this looks delicious! Definitely gonna be making this for dinner soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs