My Year of Running: 2013

December 17, 2013

In January I was busy with all my other activities that I love to do but I wanted something more than just spending my extra time studying. I wanted my own hobby. I ran regularly and one day I decided to sign up for a half marathon... and then decided to run 26 more by the time I turn 26. This year I completed races/runs that I never thought I could do. Miss Zippy wrote on her blog a post about her year of running in 2013. You can find the post -- here.  I am linking up with her on my year of running.

Best race experience? Of course, my first marathon! I still can't believe I ran a marathon this year. That is my most exciting race experience but I think every race is fun. Here is a list of my most favorite which is basically every race I ran this year. 





Best run? During my past training cycle I ended up overtraining for a couple of weeks. It was frustrating, I had to switch up my training days, and I skipped a couple long runs. Looking back it all seems silly now since it didn't effect the race but at the time I was worried I wouldn't be able to run  the marathon. I took a weekend off and re-tried running the planned 16 miler and was so excited! That would have to be the best run because I got my mental game back. The 20 mile race would be my second best run. I can't choose just one!

Best new piece of gear? Hands down my fuel belts. At first I thought it would be weird running with something attached to my hips but it turned out very useful. I use the top one with the bottles for training and the spi belt for races.  


Best piece of running advice you received? My dad is always the first person I go to when I need advice or encouragement because he has the best advice. One of the things I remember him telling me during training was, "Don't worry about pace, just run." Sometimes I would be worried about how I was training compared to other runners training but my dad always reminded me to run what I run and not to compare myself to others.

Most inspirational runner? The most inspirational runner would be Page from Twenty Six and Then Some. I found her blog a few months ago and always look forward to reading her posts. She has incredible accomplishments of super fast half marathons, qualifying for Boston, and completing an Ironman. I realized that anything I set my mind to I can complete and she made me want to set my own goals. 

If you could sum up your year of running in a couple of words, what would they be? My years worth of running could be summed up with: running is fun, blogging about running is more fun. 

13 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm going to have to do this on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your dad's advice. I do that all the time and my mom is constantly having to remind me not to compare. It's a hard one to adhere to sometimes, but very important for progressing as an individual runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when you ran that 16-miler. I was so excited for you! I love this post and Paige from Twenty Six and Then Some is awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it seems so long ago. That was the best. Thank you Madelynne! And I know right?! She is so cool.

      Delete
  4. You won a half marathon?! That is awesome! So happy you stopped by my blog, now I found yours! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it count if it was a small race? ;) Haha it was definitely exciting. Yay!! Also, I would love for you to guest post on my blog but I will email you!

      Delete
  5. Wow speedy girl--congrats on an overall win! That is fantastic. And what a smart guy your dad is--very cool to have a dad who runs, too.

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! I am very thankful :) Thanks for hosting! I enjoyed this link up!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic year, Sara! Can't wait to see what 2014 has in store for you :) Also, isn't Page awesome?! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erin :) I'm excited too! Yes she is. You both are!

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs