Welcome Anna From Anna Tris

November 5, 2013

Last Sunday my oldest sister, Anna, completed her first half ironman. That is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run. Crazy but awesome! I was unable to attend her race so I thought why don't I bring her race to me? Enjoy a recap of her training and race!
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, I am Anna- a now half ironman! I am going to give you an abbreviated race recap from last Sunday. The full recap is up on my blog.

I have been training for the past 8 months and I have never felt so prepared for a race. I decided early on that if I was going to take on this race I would need some help. I found a girl I used to know in Texas and I hired her, she is an endurance/triathlete coach. I know that without her direction and encouragement I wouldn't have made it through some of the training workouts. Last Sunday the day was finally here and I was a nervous wreck!


Sunday morning I woke up at 4:45am and started getting ready. I ate a banana, almond butter and drank coffee before heading out the door. We arrived at the run transition at 6:45am before it closed at 7:15am. I quickly put my run items at my run spot and hopped on the bus to the bike transition. I arrived at my bike transition at 7:05am and very quickly double checked everything and put my hydration on my bike. I didn't like feeling so rushed through my set up but traffic was terrible getting into the park so I did the best I could. 

7:20am: I made it to the bathroom line, waited, and was done and ready to warm up by 7:30am. 

7:30am: I had my pre race music loaded and started to listen to it while warming up my arms, no pre race swimming allowed. The time started ticking away and they slowly started the swim by waves. My wave didn't take off until 8:25am. 

7:50am: started to get a little nervous, the hubs was on the bus trying to get to the lake. I was so worried he wouldn't make it, yes I realize he had over 30 minutes to get there but I was nervous wreck. Finally my dad, brother in law, and Jake all showed up. 

8:25 time to start, this was the best open water swim I have had! I did not feel anxious at all. The swim took me 36:59 minutes, I was happy with this, my goal was 35min.


I took off on my bike ride and prepared for 56 miles without seeing my support team! I settled in and made sure I had my watch set so that I could properly fuel every 15min. I had zero flats along the course and made my way through it without any problems. I finished my bike in 3:30min. I saw Jake first coming into the bike/ run transition. My brother in law was a little ways in front of him and my dad was at the dismount line. The cheering fired me up!! I found my run gear, with a little searching, and changed my shoes, etc. 

I made a bathroom stop and was on my way, the final 13.1 miles!! The run was a three loop run which gave me 3 times to see everyone. First lap went okay, felt pretty good. I ran through the main area and saw my support team then it was back out. Second lap, stomach acted up and dealt with some painful cramping, I was able to walk it out for about 30 seconds. I started to really feel the hills on this second loop but kept pushing, only walking through the aid stations. Again, made it back through and saw Jake, dad and brother in law. One final lap to go...I was ready. I kept the same speed and made my way out. The last two miles were a total mind game, I wanted to be done. My legs were tired, and I just wanted to cross that finish line.


I finally made it to the chute, I was so excited. I saw my coach and friend on one side and Jake and my brother in law on the other. My dad was cheering me on outside and had not made it to the final chute yet. I crossed the finish line in 6 hours and 41minutes, including transitions. I was excited, exhausted and relieved. I couldn't believe I had made it!! They gave out a sweet medal and finisher hat at the finish line.



Thanks for letting me guest post!

4 comments:

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs