The Other Half Of Training

November 11, 2013


This is the other half of training.. At the halfway mark (10 out of 20 weeks) in my marathon training cycle I wrote a post about 10 things I had learned from training. You can find the post here. As I was re-reading the things I wrote I realized that everything that I had learned from the "easy" half of training were the same as if I was going to write for the "hard" half of training. I am still hungry all the time, I still think support groups are very important, and it still took a lot of time.

The first few weekend long runs were building up from 5 miles all the way to 12 miles. I say that is the easy part because I have been running for a long time and 12 miles didn't seem that big of a deal after I have run multiple half marathons. The hard part was building up from 12 miles all the way to 20 miles. I loved every minute of pushing myself to run further but training wasn't always perfect. While some weeks didn't work out the way I wanted them to, I got through all most of the runs.

That brings me to the ups and downs of the other half of training. The good thing about blogging is that I write down everything so rather than write a post about each thing I will link up to different posts I wrote:

Here is a post on my first day of training

Some posts if you want to read about my most exciting weeks which include:  week eleven, the fourteen milerthe 16 miler, the 20 mile race

In the middle of training I overtrained for almost a month before realizing what the problem was. While I tried to stay optimistic, there were a few blog posts that I was frustrated. Read this post, or this post, or even this post. 

If you want to read about that one time my sister and I split a family casserole read this post. 

It has been fun at times (like when I got to run 20 miles with hundreds of other people) and hard at other times (when I would be so stressed/ tired that I cried at school) but I got through it. I learned a lot and I know I am more prepared for my next marathon. Yep, I haven't even run one and I already have the date of my next marathon! If I had to say one thing that I learned from training for my first marathon it would be that I can accomplish anything, big or small, if I set my mind to it.

And with that, my training cycle is slowly coming to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs