Rock 'N' Roll Marathon: CHECK!

November 17, 2013


$500 something = paid in new Lululemon workout clothing. $216 = paid for two pairs of Mizuno running shoes. $120 =  race entry fee. $70 = bought fuel, a new fuel belt, and other accessories. Running a marathon = priceless. 

I am so excited that I finished my first marathon this morning! The picture above can explain how I felt the entire race. I was smiling (pretty much) the whole way knowing I was finally running the race I have been training for since July. I don't even know where to start.. maybe I should start at the beginning. 

The weather was 87 degrees with high humidity. Basically, not good race weather. A few weeks ago I ran my 20 miler as a race and had in mind that I would feel the same at the marathon. Hint: I was wrong. The 20 miler was on a cold morning around 40 degrees. Weather makes a huge difference. I picked out a race outfit that would be cool and comfortable. Of course, while still being cute. I was told that fueling properly and staying hydrated was more important for this marathon than time. I had a goal time/pace in mind but I decided to let it go and focus on finishing.


My dad and younger sister came to cheer me on. My sister, Kathleen, originally was not going to be able to attend the race but she surprised me two days before and told me she was coming. I was so excited! My dad and I looked at the course map to figure out which miles they would be able to see me at. They ran all over downtown to find me at mile 2, 9, 10, and 24.

Miles one through five I planned on keeping around a 9:24 pace but they ended up being around a 9:18 pace. My goal pace overall was a 9:09 so I ran slower in the first few miles to work my way down. I am really glad I started slower because it got so hot towards the end that I know if I had started any faster I wouldn't have been able to run the whole time.

The Rock n Roll half marathon is more of the hype. People are spread out all along the first 13.1 miles cheering, holding signs, waving bells, and having a good time cheering on all the runners. It was great having support for the first half. Miles six through thirteen I kept a pretty steady pace. I took gu chomps every four miles. I took gatorade and water at every station. My paces below:


The second half has good fuel stations with plenty of gatorade and water. They handed out cold sponges, water bottles, and extra gels to take. At different points they held a hose out that everyone could run through. The heat was brutal so the water was refreshing! 

I split the race up in my head as a half marathon, 7 miles, and then the last 6 miles. My Garmin is a little off on milage only because I had to loop back for a quick bathroom break at mile 13. I brought three salt capsules to take at mile 17, 20, and 23. After I had gotten through the half marathon I focused on getting to mile 17 to take the first salt capsule. While there was still support, there weren't as many people cheering on the last few miles. It was all up to myself to keep going. With numerous people starting to walk, it would have been easy to follow but I pushed myself to run. I am glad I took the salt capsules. I didn't cramp at all, never hit a wall, and I didn't have to walk it out besides through all the aid stations to get in enough liquids. 

At mile twenty we ran along a path for six miles with no trees and the sun came out. I felt my pace start dropping from a 9:03 to a 9:15. I focused on those who I dedicated my miles to. It helped pass each mile. At mile twenty four I saw my dad and Kathleen. At that point I was tired, bored of the scene, and I was ready for the finish line. I told them "this is stupid." They ran with me for a little bit and encouraged me to keep going. It was great to see them! I kept repeating to myself "two more miles, two more miles. you have got this." More aid stations and gu chomps later I finally made it to the last stretch. I pushed it in and finished in 4:05. 

Goal time: 4:10

Chip time: 4:05:15


I am a MARATHONER!

Thank you so much Dad and Kathleen for supporting me! I know how hard that was to run around for four hours and I can't tell you how much that means to me to see you guys along the course and to know you were there for me. Thank you to my dad's friend, Scott, who helped me pre race as I was so nervous. Thank you to all the volunteers for all your help and encouragement. Thank you to all of you guys who texted, commented on my blog and Instagram with good lucks! And thank you Jenny Hadfield for the perfect training plan. I couldn't have done it without you guys!


Finishing the marathon has made me feel that nothing is impossible. I had so much fun this morning and can't wait until my next marathon! Rock on!

20 comments:

  1. AWESOME job! 87 and high humidity? I think you're my new hero for going through the entire race with that! Congrats on smashing your goal time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Haha, you're so sweet! It was definitely brutal running weather but I am so excited to have finished!

      Delete
  2. great race report, sara - and huge congrats on crushing your goal time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Sara!! That is such an accomplishment…especially in that heat! Congrats!!

    xoxo,
    Brie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Sara! I cannot believe you ran 26.2 miles in that kind of heat (and I'm equally surprised the weather fluctuates that much over there!). Way to be smart taking it easier in the beginning. I enjoyed reading your recap and I hope you're riding the marathon high the rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madelynne! Your sweet comments always make my day! I am totally surprised too. It was brutal!! I totally am on a marathon high and it's the best feeling!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!!! You are a marathoner!! I love that you were able to smile so much through the race! And awesome job adjusting your race strategy based upon the weather-- that can be a hard thing to do! You go, girl!! -- Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on becoming a marathoner! I bet it feels awesome to be able to say that :) I'm amazed by you staying so strong in those hot temperatures too! I'm curious to know how your Spibelt worked out? I'm trying to find something for my marathon in January that isn't too bulky and it doesn't look that brand is from your pictures. Amazing job, again Sara! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hailey! I am so happy!! The Spibelt was perfect. I found it at the expo and they advertised it as non-bouncing. I was a little nervous since I didn't run in it beforehand but it didn't bounce at all and I wouldn't have been able to run without it. I highly recommend it! Good luck with training! Keep running strong!

      Delete
  7. You nailed it, girl! Outstanding. Do you do all of your running/racing in your Elixirs? or do you have a different shoe for daily training runs?

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul!! I do all of my running and racing in the Elixirs. They are my favorite. So comfortable! Thank you for the tapering tips! They were great!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Sara! I just found your blog from the IDEA Facebook link-up, and I'm so impressed with your time as a first marathon ... especially in that brutal heat!!! The heat really slows me down, so I don't know how you did it! Hope you're enjoying the pride of being a marathoner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! And thanks for commenting :) It was definitely a challenge. Yes I am!!

      Delete
  9. Well done, Sara! You crushed your goal time! You are a marathoner! Love that you smiled the entire run… best way to race :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on a great first marathon! I found your blog through Runaway Bridal Planner's runner spotlight, and happy I found you!

    Looks like you are well on your way to qualifying for Boston!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs