Race Recap: Half Marathon #3

June 15, 2013

I finished half marathon #3 this morning! 3 half's down, 23 to go! My morning started early at 4:15am. My mom and younger sister came to cheer me on so they got up early with me. My other family members are out of town so they cheered from afar. I ate a small pre race meal of toast and an apple. Race outfit included:

As seen on Instagram @saralynnhoffman
Packet pick up was between 5:15 and 5:45am and the race started at 6am. By 5am we were out the door on our way to the race start. The morning was humid so I ditched the compression sleeves. They were only to look cute anyways ;)



I wanted to try a different race strategy so I started right at the start line rather than starting in the back of the group and making my way around people. When I ran this race a month ago I started at a 9:30 minute per mile pace for the first 6 miles then had a negative split of 7:45 minute per mile on the last 7 miles. I decided to get out at a faster pace to see how it would feel and it felt great for awhile until my mouth became dry from the humidity. I kept up the faster pace for as long as I could.

Mile 1 through 6 pace: 7:47

Mile 7 through 13 pace: 8:15 

The race was out and back of 3.2 something miles making one loop a little over 6 miles. I repeated the loop twice. At mile 6 where the first loop ended I saw my mom and sister. My mom asked if I wanted more Gu chomps or a water bottle and I took both. There were aid stations on the course but a little ways apart, I kept the water bottle to constantly sip. 

The race consisted of a variety of lengths, 10k, 50k, 13.1, 26.2 to name a few. Since I started at the front of the group and because most people were running longer lengths not at a fast pace I was ahead of the group. At one point a boy around my age passed me. I had a goal to win the race so my competitive side came out and I ran right behind him until I could pass him. For about 4 miles we would switch off of him passing me, me passing him and so forth. I did not want him to beat me so when he turned back around at mile 10 and I was almost to the turn I yelled out "What are you running?? The half or full?" He said "The 50 miler!" When I realized he was running a different race than me I told him he was doing great. 

I was hoping for negative splits but wasn't able to keep it up. I kept the low 8 minute pace until mile 10 and kept telling myself only three miles left, run faster, go go. I saw my mom and sister on the course when I had .4 miles left which gave me a boost to finish. They ran in to the finish with me :)

I finished in 1:48. Not a PR but I don't mind because it was so hot and I was sweating so much. I ended up being the overall half marathon winner! The second place guy came in without seeing me and asked if he won when a girl standing next to him said "No, she did." What can I say.. I run like a girl. Try to keep up. 



Note to self: next time wear water proof mascara. I know I'm not the only one who wants to look good for those race photos.



I can't thank my mom and sister enough for getting up way too early, making me signs, and coming to the race.  It meant so much to me having them there. Especially having them support me and run in the last few yards with me. For when I make you guys read this later, I love you both so much! And thank you to my other family members, friends, and running bloggers who texted and called to wish me good luck! 

Up next: a couple weeks to rest and cross train then marathon training starting July 1st!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on an amazing pace and a first place win! That's incredible! You're running at paces I'm aiming for, so its very inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alicia!! Keep working hard to reach your goals. Congrats on your 5k's- you did great!

      Happy running!
      Sara

      Delete
  2. Congrats on first place! You're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's awesome. I especially like the part where the second place guy came in hoping he'd won and you crushed him! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria! Ha- me too. Thanks for reading!

      Happy running!
      Sara

      Delete
  4. That's awesome Sara! Congrats to you :) I love that the girl pointed out that it was you! Run like a girl all the way! (Found you on Running Bloggers Community on Google+!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! It was a lot of fun. Thanks for reading! I love meeting all of the running bloggers, I will check your blog out too!

      Happy running!
      Sara

      Delete
  5. Congrats on first! That's an amazing time! I have a similar goal, I'm running 30 before the end of next year! Running 28 this year. At #12. You can TOTALLY do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! Cool goal- that sounds so fun! I'll have to add your blog to my reading list to keep up :)

      Happy running!
      Sara

      Delete
  6. Whaaaat you won?!! You are so fast. Good job. Keep it up Sara! I love reading your blog. You inspire me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Peter!!
      I didn't know you had a blog! Just checked out all your posts, so cool.
      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs